- This event has passed.
LABF Double Feature: Bankruptcy 101 & The New California Homestead Exemption
October 26, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
IEBF is a proud co-sponsor of this event. IEBF members may register for the programs at the regular LABF member price for Zoom programs of $25.
LABF invites you to join them via Zoom for back-to-back programs.
Starting at 4 p.m., LABF will be putting on a “Bankruptcy 101” program geared primarily toward newer attorneys, non-bankruptcy attorneys, in-house counsel, and business people who may be faced with insolvency issues in these troubled times, whether on the creditor side or the debtor side.
Immediately following the first program, starting at 5 p.m., LABF will have a presentation on California’s newly enacted homestead exemption. The panelists have prepared a deep dive into the newly-enacted California homestead amounts based on each California county’s medium home prices, with a base of $300,000 and a cap of $600,000. The panelists will address numerous questions raised by the new law: What is the primary motivation for these changes? When do these amounts become effective? What effects are presented on individual cases in the various chapter proceedings? What are the direct legal and economic impacts on creditors, judgment lien holders (for instance, under 11 U.S.C. section 522(f)), and confirmation requirements in Chapter 13 cases and individual Chapter 11 and Subchapter V cases? What are some of the consequences, both intended and unintended, with respect to these amount adjustments?
Bankruptcy 101 Panel (4 – 5 p.m.)
- Hon. Julia W. Brand (United States Bankruptcy Judge, Central District of California)
- Lei Lei Wang-Ekvall (Smiley Wang-Ekvall, Costa Mesa)
- Bo Bollinger (Buchalter, Los Angeles)
- Peter Mastan (Dinsmore & Shohl, Los Angeles)
New California Homestead Exemption Panel (5 – 6 p.m.)
- Judge Scott C. Clarkson (United States Bankruptcy Judge, Central District of California)
- State Senator Robert Wieckowski, California Senate District 10 (and primary sponsor of the legislation)
- Monique D. Jewett-Brewster (Hopkins & Carley, San Jose)
- Wesley Avery, Chapter 7 Trustee (Law Offices of Wesley H. Avery, APC, Pasadena)
- Michael O’Halloran (Law Office of Michael T. O’Halloran, San Diego)
These back-to-back programs are being co-sponsored by California Bankruptcy Forum, Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney Association, Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum, The James T. King Southern California Bankruptcy Inn of Court, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum and San Diego Bankruptcy Forum. Members of these bankruptcy forums will be entitled to register for the programs at the regular LABF member price for Zoom programs of $25.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic the program will be held by Zoom video conference. Invitations with the webinar information will be included in your registration receipt.
Monday, October 26, 2020
Programs start at 4:00 pm
Programs end at 6:00 pm
- LABF members: $25
- Member of Co-Sponsoring Organization: $25
- Non-members: $40
- Students and Government Employees: $0
Visit the LABF website for more information and to register.